Thursday, May 12, 2005

May the Force be with you!

I watched 'Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace' last night. The more I see 'Star Wars', the more I realize how much the concept of the movie has derived from ancient Indian scriptures.

'May the Force be with you!'

In my opinion The Force, is nothing but what ancient Hindu scriptures call as 'Prana' , or energy.

(Star Wars Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back) The Jedi, Obi Wan Kenobi teaches Luke about The Force:

Ben: "The force is what gives a Jedi his power. It’s an energy field created by all living things it surrounds us and binds the galaxy together."

The Dark Side of The Force - This may be interpreted as 'Maya', or 'The Illusion' as described in ancient Indian scriptures. This ‘Maya’ is the barrier between the Truth and the people. The barrier stopping the people from realizing their true nature.

There are so many other scenes & dialogues where you can draw a parallel between them and ancient Hindu scriptures.

I hope that you all may be aware that the concept of the movie 'The Matrix' was derived from ancient Indian scriptures, particularly Upanishads.

'asato ma sad gamaya,
tamaso ma jyotir gamaya,
mrityor ma amritam gamaya'


Brihadaranyaka Upanishad (1.3.28)

Translates to ...

'From the unreal, lead me to the real
From darkness, lead me to the light
From death, lead me to immortality'


Matrix is nothing but, what ancient Hindu scriptures describe as 'Maya' or 'Illusion'.

So in my opinion, Hollywood has taken the noble work of helping people realize the Truth, by having subtle messages in movies.

No comments: