Monday, June 13, 2005

This was another relaxing weekend for me. Did some groceries at Ellwood Thompson’s, a local health food store. I never do my groceries at the Wal-Mart.

Even though the idea of Wal-Mart is cool, having almost everything under one roof, I do not like their expansion strategy. Wherever a Wal-Mart opens, it becomes very tough for the local small guys running their stores. Most of them go out of business. If every place has a Wal-Mart and if we always do shop at Wal-Mart only, well it sucks. We will never get a complete taste of the local culture and tradition.

Imagine this. What if Wal-Mart opens at 10 different locations in Chennai, India and kicks, just say, Saravana stores and Nilgiris and the likes out of business?
When someone from US, visits Chennai as a tourist and if he ends up shopping at Wal-Mart, eeww, doesn’t make much sense to me.

The only good thing about Wal-Mart is that they are open 24 hours (that too I found not all locations). In case of an emergency, it’s ok to go ahead and buy there.

The only thing I do when I go to Wal-Mart is watch some super awesome ‘gummus’.
Yeah…Wal-Mart kicks ass.

Ok…coming back to my weekend…
I watched ‘Conan – The Barbarian’ on Sun TV Sunday afternoon (Tamil dubbing).
Then I did my weekly laundry.

It was 630pm. I realized that I had time to catch some movie on theater. I checked out the timings for 'Mr. and Mrs. Smith'. There was one show at 655pm. I booked my ticket in Fandango and took a quick shower and went to the theater. I found out that the whole computer system of Regal Cinemas was down. No ticket purchase or pickups. Then I had to stand in a long queue for a manual ticket pickup. When I got my turn the movie had already started. So I requested a ticket for ‘Madagascar’ which was about to start.
The guy said ok and we were cool. Customer service in US kicks ass.

The movie was hilarious. I enjoyed it. The graphics and animation was good too. I guess they might come up with a sequel too.

On my way back, I picked up some Fried Chicken from KFC.
Then I saw ‘Athu Mattum Ragasiyam’, a suspense thriller in Sun TV.

No comments: