Even today, many believe that science and religion are against each other. They argue science is based on facts and religion is based on faith and you cannot mix fact and faith...blah…blah…blah.
I feel that those people are either ignorant on this matter or lack the intuition to see the Truth.
I believe that science and religion are not against each other.
This is my take on this subject.
1. Anyone who believes that science and religion are at odds...don't know much about what they are talking. It's just a perception that they are at odds. It's not the truth.
2. Science and Religion are two different paths to the same destination. TRUTH. Religion is like..."there is a source, it's also the destination. You came from source...and these are the different ways to go back to the source (or destination)". Whereas science is like..."what is the source...is there a source...what is the destination...is there a destination...how did we come from source...how we can go to destination".
3. Religion inspires science.
4. Science is at its infancy. It makes mistakes. It corrects them. It makes mistakes again. It corrects them again. This goes on.
5. DNA studies (science) say that all humans descended from an African ancestor who lived only 60,000 years ago. Is that African ancestor Adam & Eve?(Religion). This is a classic example of my Point (2). Science and Religion tries to take humanity to same place, in different ways.
Is it science or religion that has made our lives better?
If you are talking about the physical body, or anything to do with materialistic world, then YES, science has made our lives better.
But if you are talking about the spiritual, or anything to do with spiritualistic world, then religion has made our lives better.
Has science done anything for spirituality?
So far not much. Most of them indirect. In future this might change. The closer the two paths (science and religion) are to the source, the more they will converge.
In my opinion, we should have an open mind and not say religion is crap or science is crap.
A person should fall under only one of the 3 categories.
3. One who believes that both are different paths to the same.
One of my friends is so pro-science. He says all things said in religion are more or less crap, as there is no proof. He asks has anyone seen God. Yet, he goes to temple & prays to God. When asked, he says not to mix faith and fact.
What in the world is that supposed to mean???
Jesus said "One can serve only one master".
I said earlier that science hasn’t done much for spirituality and that even whatever it has done has been indirect.
But looks like this is going to change soon. Or is it?
I have been hearing this word for quite few months now.
Thanks to Tom Cruise, who has converted to Scientology and trying to talk to his super awesome fiancée Katie Holmes to adopt Scientology.
What is this Scientology? I decided to check it out myself.
After spending about half a day in their website I understood the following:
1. Scientology is a system of beliefs, teachings and rituals, originally established as a secular philosophy in 1952 by author L. Ron Hubbard, then re-characterized by him in 1953 as an "applied religious philosophy".
2. Scientology is defined as a controversial belief system developed by L. Ron Hubbard, based on a person being an immortal spiritual being whose survival depends on him/herself and his/her attainment of brotherhood with others and the universe .
3. Scientology literally means ‘knowing how to know’ .
4. It sounds more abstract initially and more like a religion for the elite few.
For more, I think it would be better for you to get it straight from the horse's mouth.
It took some time for me to comprehend what they were trying to say. But I think that’s because Iam neither intelligent nor one among the elites.
Honestly I think it is old wine in new bottle.
Scientology is nothing but the knowledge from our age old Hindu philosophies, Vedic literatures, Ramayana, Mahabharata, Bhagavada Purana, Bhavishya Purana and all such works, presented in a modern way to a modern world, applying scientific principles wherever possible.
Have a look at this: http://www.beliefnet.com/story/80/story_8057_1.html
So is Scientology the way to go?
I don’t know as of now.
It looks promising.
But I know almost nothing about it. Have to research and understand more about it.
When I Google for Scientology I see a lot of Anti-Scientology websites too.
In my opinion, if Scientology is trying to bridge the gap between science and religion, and trying to say that both are 2 different ways to the same Truth, and if science can be applied to religious philosophies and if it makes the world a better place to live, then that’s the way to go.
That will be cool.
But if it turns out to be another evil cult…
yada yada hi dharmasya
glanir bhavati bharata
tadatmanam srjamy aham
vinasaya ca duskrtam
sambhavami yuge yuge
Bhagavad-gita Chapter 4, Verse 7 & 8